9.27.2006

Reading Between the Lines

I have been addicted to magazines since I was about twelve. I remember getting Consumer Reports for Kids and then they went bankrupt and I didn't understand how they could just stop sending me their magazine when I had already paid for it. Consumer Reports for Kids, boy that sounds exciting.

I've been a Wired reader for 12 years now. It's fascinating to go back and read issues from the mid-90s. You can also gauge the state of the "new economy" based on how thick the magazine is. In addition to Wired, I read the Economist, Shambala Sun, The Atlantic Monthly, Fast Company, Men's Health, Alternative Medicine, and many others.

There's just something about magazines that captivates me. I like that they're not outdated instantly like a newspaper, yet more easily digestable than a book.

There's also something to the cultural artifact that is the magazine rack. We all know that we could pay soooo much less if we'd just subscribe. Magazine publishers want to guarantee their advertisers a certian number of eyeballs and are willing to save us some cash if we will commit ahead of time, yet part of the fun of magazines is not just reading it, but the practice of selecting a particular magazine among a plethora of options. You walk into your local bookstore and pick out the issue that fits you.

Then again, there's the predictable comfort of knowing your magazine will arrive on a certain day. Your Sports Illustrated in the mailbox on Thursday or your Economist on the front steps on Friday--unless you live in my neighborhood where it's been known to appear anywhere from Friday to Monday. Ahh, the anticipation!

Jack Shafer writes about his relationship with magazines on Slate's site.

What magazines do you love?

No comments: